Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Carnival of Souls is considered to be a cult classic by many people.  However, I just don't get it.  If you're a fan, please tell me why you love this movie.  For me, it's just O.K.   If you haven't seen it I won't divulge the plot other than to say it's about a church organist who is involved in a car accident at the beginning of the film.  After this she takes a job in another city and finds herself being drawn to an old abandoned carnival that is located just outside of town.
Candace Hillgoss is fine as Mary Henry but the problem with the film is that she is not a very likeable character.  She views her church gig as just a job and seems to have no interest in faith or spirituality.  She's also a loner and doesn't connect very well with others in the film.  Because of this I found that as a viewer I didn't really care what happened to her.  There was no feeling of sympathy on my part whatsoever.
There is a 1998 remake of Carnival that is known as Wes Craven's Carnival of Souls.  However, Wes did not write nor direct this film and probably lent his name to the project.  Bad mistake.  The rewritten plot bears absolutely no resemblance to the original.  I saw it a few years back and didn't like it at all.  My hope it that some day a decent remake of this film will be done because the basic bones of the story are good.
This film is available to view online or download legally through Archive.org.  So, proceed with caution and judge the movie for yourself.  Maybe you can convince me this is a great movie, but I doubt it.
Rating: Good.
Download a copy of the film from Archive.org
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment