Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

One Body Too Many (1944)

What do you do when a thriller isn't thrilling?  A.) Turn it off after the first ten minutes because your gut tells you it's going to be bad.  B.) Keep mumbling to yourself, "Bela Lugosi is this film.  How bad can it be?" or C.) Watch it to the bitter end, hoping it will get better, but when the credits roll you realize you've just wasted 75 minutes of your life watching this terrible movie.  If you chose "A" then good for you!  Unfortunately, I ended up choosing all three, making my way through them in sequential order.
One Body Too Many is not a horribly made film.  It's simply dull and boring.  It might have gotten a rise and a chuckle out of 1940's audiences, but this one simply doesn't translate well to modern audiences.  My first gripe is that Bela Lugosi is the big star but he only logs in about 10 minutes of screen time.  It left me screaming "I want my money back!"  Jack Haley also stars in this film [Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz] as well as Jean Parker [Beth in Little Women] but I watched it because Bela freakin' Lugosi was in it.  Don't make the same mistake I did.
I won't bore you with the gory details.  Avoid this one like the plague.  If you want a great example of a thriller with a similar type of plot, my recommendation would be William Castle's brilliant House on Haunted Hill which is reviewed elsewhere on the site.  It's the perfect mix of horror and humor and shows you how good a film of this genre can be.
RATING: Fair.
Download a copy of the film from Archive.org
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment