Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Friday, February 4, 2011

I Eat Your Skin (1964) a.k.a. Zombies

Caribbean islands, voodoo and machete-wielding zombies.  Who could ask for anything more?  Well, let's start with the title.  This film began with the title Zombies but was changed in 1970 to I Eat Your Skin when it was paired with I Drink Your Blood as part of a double feature.  My personal suggestion is Not Another Caribbean Zombie Movie, since I Eat Your Skin has NOTHING to do with the eating of flesh whatsoever.
Next on my list is a simple question that demands an answer.  If the descendants of Voodoo Island came from Africa through the slave trade, why do they all speak Spanish?  Haitian's speak their own version of French.  Jamaicans speak Patois which is a combination of english and some African languages.  It seems like s strange choice to me.
Number three is some of the worst zombie make-up I've seen in a long time.  I do better zombie make-up than this.  The eyes are ridiculous.  Furthermore, their mannerisms are not consistent.  One moment they're shambling in a daze and the net minute they're track stars.  Give me a break.
Last on my list are the extended voodoo dance numbers that look and sound more like a Broadway musical than a tribe of indigenous people dancing with evil intent.  While I didn't detect a plié or jeté, all the main movements are purely modern dance.
I could go on, but I think you get my point.  This one is simply not good.  It is an underwhelming piece of cinema that even zombie fans will want to avoid.
RATING: Bad.
Download a copy of the film from Archive.org
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment