Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dial M For Murder (1954)

Maybe it's just me but I think this film by the legendary director Alfred Hitchcock is overrated.  It's very British and contains LOTS of dialogue and slow moments.  There is very little action and, as far as I'm concerned, very little suspense as well.
This film is all about committing the perfect murder which the lead character discovers is much harder than it looks.  The cast is great with Ray Milland as Tony Wendice and Grace Kelly [Rear Window] as his wife Margot Wendice, the woman whom he unsuccessfully tries to have murdered.  Both have a commanding presence on screen and like all of Hitchcock's other woman, Grace Kelly looks absolutely fabulous and is illuminated and filmed to perfection.  Robert Cummings is also excellent as Mark Halliday, Ms. Wendice's other love interest.
Furthermore, Dial M For Murder is impeccably shot in true Hitchcock style.  It looks beautiful and shows the work of a master enjoying his craft.  So why did I not thoroughly enjoy it?  To be honest, I simply don't know.  As Nell said of Rocky in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, "He's O.K."  Maybe I was having a bad day but I way prefer Psycho and The Birds over this one.  Don't get me wrong.  I love Hitchcock's work and portions of this film are really great, but it just didn't keep me on the edge on my seat.  
RATING: Very Good.
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment