Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Seventh Victim (1943)

Who knew a Satanic cult could be so prim and proper.  Well, it is the 1940's after all!  Pearls and petticoats were the fashion for everyone, even Satan's minions!  The Seventh Victim is another Val Lewton thriller that mostly hits the mark.  The lead actress, Kim Hunter, who plays Mary Gibson is wonderful as the girl who is searching for her missing sister.  She brings lots of heart and emotion to this film.  [Who knew she would go on to star in most of the Planet of the Apes films as well.]  The rest of the cast is solid as well.
The only let down for me was the ending.  I was hoping for something a little more spectacular and it simply left me groaning.  I screamed at my TV set "Seriously?  That's all you got?"  I expected a little more sinister plot from the devil worshippers and they did NOT deliver the goods.  I guess it was shocking enough to simply mention the topic in 1943, but modern audiences expect a little bit more.  Thats all I really have to say about this one.  For me, it's not one of Lewton's best efforts even though some critics will disagree with me on this one.
RATING: Good.
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment