Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dreamscape (1984)

Dreamscape has one heck of a cast: Dennis Quaid, Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow, Eddie Albert and Kate Capshaw.  It should have been a total home run but there's something about it that falls short for me.
The dream theme is done better in Nightmare on Elm Street which came out the same year.  Nightmare also have much better special effects as well.  The "hippy psychedelic"   dream travel was also done better in Altered States (1980) which is one crazy ride not to be missed.  The whole movie made me feel like I'd seen it before and it was done better.
This is not to say that Dreamscape is a bad movie.  The acting was fine but it felt like the script gave them very little to work with.  Maybe it was the mood I was in when I watched it but I found the whole thing rather boring.  The horror/fantasy elements are few and far between with lots of nothing really going on in the middle.  Dreamscape is just O.K. and nothing more needs to be said.  Spend your time watching the other two I mentioned in this review.
RATING: Good.
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment