Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dark Shadows (1966-1971)

Before there was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Vampire Diaries, there was Dark Shadows.  Forget Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.  It's all about Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins.  Thanks to Netflix, you can now stream episodes of this classic horror soap opera to your hearts content.  Frid is unforgettable as Barnabas Collins.  Unlike Depp, he's not the butt of every joke.  Instead, he's mysterious and menacing, commanding the screen like no other.  Joan Bennett is also delightful as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard and has a wonderful presence on screen.
Dark Shadows is the tale of the well-to-do Collins family of Collinsport, Maine.  It may well be the most unique soap opera that was ever created for American television.  It avoids many of the histrionics of your typical soaps and replaces this with horror and supernatural elements.  As a kid, I was not allowed to watch this T.V. show.  However, I snuck a peak every chance I got.  [Sorry, Mom.]  When Frid appeared on-screen in full vampire mode, it scared the crap out of me and I loved every minute of it!  I should have known then that I would become a big horror fan in the future.  
Don't miss this classic American television show.  There's nothing else quite like it.
RATING:  Excellent.
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment