Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

American Scary (2006)

American Scary is an insightful and thorough documentary on the subject of horror show hosting in America.  From its early beginnings to its modern incarnation on the Internet and Cable TV, American Scary covers it all.  Some, like Elvira, are well known by everyone.  Others, are local heroes who are no less beloved by the people who watched them every Friday or Saturday evening around midnight.
This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart.  As a young lad I was a big fan of Chiiler Theater in my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA.  Each week Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille would show a double feature of horror and sci-fi movies after the 11:00 news broadcast.  He was like a trusted friend and I stayed up until I drifted off to sleep somewhere during the second feature.
I was glad to see Bill Cardille as one of the people who was interviewed for the documentary.  There were also many others I had not heard of before but I'm sure are equally beloved by others.  These unsung heroes gave many of us our love for the genre and it's great to see them celebrated in this film.  Nicely done!
RATING: Very Good.
For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment