Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Brood (1979)

No one can deny that David Cronenberg is a unique and skilled director.  However, I have bit of a love/hate relationship with his films.  I love Eastern Promises and A History of Violence.  Furthermore, his remake of the Fly is a passionate and powerful film.  But when it comes to The Brood, I cant get too excited about it.  For me, it is undeniably a well-made film but simply too weird for my taste.  There is a lot that is left unexplained and is just plain strange.  

The acting is great in this psychological thriller with Oliver Reed, Samantha Eggar and Art Hindle giving powerful performances.  The weakest link is the little girl, Cindy, played by Candice Carveth.  They really needed someone like Carol Ann from Poltergeist in this role.  Candice simply doesn't deliver the sense of terror required by the role.

As far as plot goes, the basic story involves the relationship between an unconventional but gifted psychologist [Reed] and his patient [Eggar].  Beyond that, it simply journeys through the weird and unexplained.  

So, I give this one a Very Good rating for the quality of the film but it's simply not my cup of tea.  If you like really strange avant-garde films, then you will probably enjoy The Breed.

RATING: Very Good.

For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment