Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Bad. Bad. Bad.  Did I mention that Sleepaway Camp is bad?  This Friday the 13th rip off is dreadful.  I know some critics sing its praises on IMDB but I just don't get it.  The acting is absolutely wretched.  Lots of bad NYC accents and characters we simply don't care about.  Every cliche in the book is here from the pedophile camp cook to the mean kids who bully the weak ones.  It's been done before and done so much better.

So what is the appeal of this film?  I can only believe it's the joy of watching these wretched characters being killed off one by one.  Let me count the ways...death by boiling water, drowning under an overturned canoe, bee swarm in a toilet stall, knife through a shower stall wall [I sense a water theme going on here.  Freud would have a field day!], curling iron [An A+ for originality], an archery arrow through the throat and a beheadding.  The only surprise is the ending where we find out [spoiler alert] that the female killer is actually a boy who was raised as a girl.  Now, that's a pretty surprising ending.  I didn't see that one coming at all.  However it doesn't make up for all the bad acting and poor special effects that pave the path to the final scene.

As a final note, Sleepaway Camp spawned four, count them, four sequels.  For the love of cinema, I cannot bring myself to endure another moment of this franchise. If you've seen them, let me know how they stack up to the original!  My suspicion is it's more of the same.

RATING: Bad.

For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you for your efforts you’ve made in writing this piece of writing. I’m hoping
    the same top perform from you inside the future as perfectly.

    ReplyDelete