Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Prom Night (1980)

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Prom Night is a complete and total waste of time.  Who knew a slasher film could be so dull?  I was drawn to this flick because of its star Jamie Lee Curtis.  Unfortunately, director Paul Lynch is no John Carpenter.  He manages to completely waste Curtis' time and talent as a scream queen.  I only hope she got a decent paycheck for this stinker of a movie!

Then there is the extended disco prom scene.  I wanted to kill myself just to make the music stop.  I actually like disco on occasion but, somehow, in this picture it is excruciatingly annoying.  The whole scene lasts forever and leads the viewer absolutely nowhere.

The plot (should you care) begins with children behaving badly and then fast forwards to teenagers behaving badly.   That's all you really need to know.  No surprises and nothing original here.  The worst part of it all is that the lighting is so bad I could hardly see what was happening on screen.  Will somebody turn a light on, please?  This isn't an episode of CSI.

Stick with Carrie (1976) if you're craving a "prom gone bad" flick.  It's the finest example of how to make this sub-genre into something spectacular.

RATING: Bad.

For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment