Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Awful Dr. Orlof (1963)

This Spanish/French production tells the story of "mad scientist" Dr. Orlof who, along with his creepy henchmen Morpho, abducts beautiful women and uses their skin to try and repair his daughter's fire burned face.  The version of Dr. Orlof I saw was dubbed into English which is not my favorite way to see a film.  I like the raw emotion of the native language which sometimes gets lost in the dubbing process.  Therefore, it's a little hard for me to judge the quality of the acting since the original performances have been filtered through another set of actors.

With this in mind, I thought Dr. Orlof was O.K. but nothing special.  The story has been told and retold many times before since horror films began.  It offers no surprises nor interesting twists.  Everything just goes along like you expect it to.  Yawn.

What it does have going for it is in terms of cinematography.  The choice of black and white for this film was perfect.  It's has great atmosphere and often interesting scene compositions.  The other thing it has going for it is Ricardo Valle who plays Morpho.  He creates a quirky, weird character that would have scared the crap out of me as a kid.  He's definitely the most interesting thing on the screen and keeps the audience wondering who or what he is.

All in all, I just can't get too excited over The Awful Dr. Orlof.  He just wasn't awful enough for me!

RATING: Good.

For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment