Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Night of the Demons (1988)

I had high hopes for Night of the Demons.  I had seen the 2009 remake first and found it entertaining.  Therefore, I hoped that original would put that classic 80's horror spin on the story.  No such luck.  The original suffers in so many ways.

First of all the acting is awful and amateurish.  The characters are total stereotypes and I couldn't have cared less about what happened to any of them.  They lived.  They were killed by demons.  Big whooping deal!

Secondly, while there was tons of gory demon make-up, I found myself bored with it all.  There is plenty of fantastic special effect work in the 1980's.  This is not it!

Finally, while I'm a big fan of 80's music, the soundtrack suffered because of it.  D-List bands composed most of the tepid score.

Enough already.  How this one got a 6.0 on the IMDB baffles me to no end.  If you're a fan, tell me why.  I'm listening…..

RATING: Fair.

For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.

NOTE: A sequel entitled Night of the Demons 2 came out in  1994 and is about on par with the original.  It starts out strong with lots of humor mixed in with its horror. But then, unfortunately it drops its snarky-ness which was its biggest asset.

No comments:

Post a Comment