Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Zombie Holocaust (1980)

A number of movie reviewers have compared Marino Girolami’s Zombie Holocaust to the zombie movies of Lucio Fulci.  I don’t get it.  This film is inferior to Fulci’s work in many ways:

1) The story is actually about cannibalism with a few zombies scattered about for good measure.


2) Girolami’s zombies are rather dull and hardly menacing.  They don’t have the artistic rendering of Fulci’s Zombi 2 or the dreadful menace of most post-Romero zombies.  They lumber around slowly are are easily killed by humans.  Yawn!


3) The effects work done in this film is rather amateurish for 1980.  If I didn’t know the date of the film, I would have thought is was early 70’s.  Fulci’s killed are a lot more dramatic and intense.

If we stand Zombie Holocaust on its own merits, it’s an O.K. film but nothing special.  It moves rather slowly and offers very little in terms of suspense or action.  Most folks who love zombie film will find this one disappointing to say the least.  With a title like Zombie Holocaust, I expected a crazy, intense Italian horror ride.  Instead, I was left feeling like I had wasted 84 minutes I could have spent doing something else.

RATING: Fair.

For more info check out the film's entry in IMDB.


No comments:

Post a Comment