Welcome, children of the night! This Blog is for fans of vintage horror films as well as those who are just beginning to discover the joy of these classic movies. I'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, August 5, 2017

Dark Star (1974)

Yes, it's miraculous that director/writer/producer/musician John Carpenter made this film for a mere $60,000. [Even George Romero spent approximately $114,00 to make Night of the Living Dead.] Yes, it looks WAY better than it's budget constraints. Yes, it's somewhat funny and definitely quirky. Yes, it gives us a taste for certain filming techniques that he would use in other movies that followed. But, honestly, I have to go against nearly critic on this one and say that Dark Star was just okay. I can't believe it has a 6.5 score. I adore John Carpenter's work but I just couldn't get into this film. I think it's a case of you either like a "cult classic" or you don't. Some people adore Rocky Horror Picture Show and others just don't get it. Some think Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is a hoot and others wonder what in the heck people see in it. It all comes down to a matter of taste and Dark Star is not my taste in Sci-Fi. So, I'm not going to trash it as incompetent filmmaking because it is skillfully made. I'm just not going to gush over it like it's the end all and be all of campy Sci-Fi. For me, Dark Star is a highly overrated movie.

Rating: Good.




For more info, check out the film's entry in IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment